Rustic Bakery’s MALTed Fresh Fruit Scones
January 27, 2021
A favorite at Marin’s Rustic Bakery, these fresh fruit scones are easily adaptable to every season! Deliciously made with local, seasonal fruits.
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl and stir with a whisk to blend.
- Add the butter and cut it into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter to the size of peas.
- Gradually add the buttermilk to the dough, mixing with your hands until the dough just comes together.
- Gently mix in the fruit with your hands. If the fruit is juicy, less buttermilk can be used. Do not over mix or the scones will be tough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough in half and form each into a disk 2 inches thick. Use a knife to cut each disk into 6 even triangles.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the scones 2 inches apart on the prepared pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a fork or a small whisk, beat the egg and cream together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, coat the top of each scone with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar and bake for 20–25 minutes, until a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the scones to wire racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 12 scones.