With increasingly unpredictable weather, farming and ranching are harder than ever. MALT can help you be more resilient to a changing climate by building soil health and improving water access and retention.
And, because rangeland is one of the largest potential carbon sinks in the world, farmers and ranchers can mitigate climate change in a big way. Making up 57 million acres in California alone, your grasslands can be managed to be more productive and to sequester more carbon into the soil.
How can MALT help me be more climate-resilient?
SAP can help you plan, design and/or pay for:
- Development of a carbon farm plan to identify the most impactful practices on your ranch for sequestering carbon, reducing greenhouse gases and increasing your land’s climate resilience.
- Windbreak planting to reduce evaporation and improve productivity, provide shelter for livestock and enhance wildlife habitat.
- Creek planting and restoration to protect stream banks from erosion while sequestering carbon.
- Hedgerow and tree planting to provide wildlife and pollinator habitat while sequestering carbon.
- Rotational grazing to encourage forage productivity and root growth and increase carbon storage in the soil.
- Manure or nutrient management to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and promote pasture productivity.
- Tillage management to reduce the potential for erosion and to help build and maintain soil structure.
SAP will also help you navigate the planning and permitting processes for these projects, connect you with other partner organizations and look for additional funding sources.