All conservation easements permit specific uses and activities. Some of these uses and activities require MALT’s approval prior to implementation. In these instances, landowners fill out a permitted use request form and submit it to MALT. Our staff must respond within a certain time frame, as established in the easement. And our stewardship department will review the landowner’s request against the terms of the easement to determine whether the request is consistent with the easement.

If any questions arise, don’t hesitate to reach out to our staff.

MALT approval does not constitute approval by Marin County or other agencies if applicable, but Marin County’s Agricultural Ombudsman, Vince Trotter, can provide necessary information on any associated permitted requirements; you can reach him at (415) 473-4204 or

Download the Permitted Use & Reserved Rights Request form here.