Rossotti Ranch: Simple Roast Chicken with Garlic and Lemon
August 10, 2020
- 1 whole chicken, 4–5 pounds
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF with the rack in the center.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry the chicken. The drier the chicken, the crispier the skin. Place the chicken in a roasting pan, baking dish or cast-iron skillet.
- Melt the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Brush the melted garlic butter all over the chicken. Season the chicken liberally all over (including inside the cavity) with salt and pepper. Place the two lemon halves and the sprigs of rosemary inside the cavity.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Create a simple loop around each leg, knotted in center.
- Roast the chicken for about 1 hour, basting it every 15 minutes by using a spoon and tilting the pan to collect the juices, then spooning them atop the chicken. Rotate the pan after every time you baste the chicken to guarantee even cooking. Roast until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. The total cooking time will depend on a variety of factors, including the weight of your chicken and how heat circulates within your oven.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer it to a cutting board. Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Order Rossotti Ranch pasture-raised chicken, goat and veal via the link below!