Clo’s Garden Cake
November 9, 2020
For the cake:
- 6 tablespoons Clover Organic unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup organic sunflower or avocado oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Clover Organic whole milk, sourced from a number of local and regional dairies, including five that are MALT protected.
- 6 Clover large brown cage-free eggs, produced on MALT-protected Neil McIsaac & Son Dairy, separated into whites and brought room temperature
- For decoration: a variety of edible flowers (pansies, nasturtiums, violets or other seasonal botanicals, fresh fennel fronds)
For the vanilla buttercream frosting:
- 2 cups Clover Organic unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons Clover Organic heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of (2) non-stick 9” cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter on medium-low speed until creamy.
- Add sugar and oil. Continue beating until combined and creamy. Whisk in vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add milk to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed, pausing between additions to scrape down bowl, until incorporated. Clean and dry beaters.
- In a medium bowl, beat room temperature egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg white meringue into the batter until combined. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter evenly into the prepared cake pans, and bake on center oven rack for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. While the cake is baking, make the buttercream frosting (see directions below).
- Remove cake from oven and place pans on cooling racks for 10-15 minutes. Gently loosen cake from sides of pan with a knife. Invert cake rounds onto cooling racks and finish cooling completely.
- To frost, center one cake round on a cake stand. Spread about a cup of frosting evenly on top. Place the other cake round on top of the first. Generously frost the sides and top of the cake with remaining frosting.
- Decorate with edible flowers and greens as desired. Serve immediately.
For the buttercream frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and salt with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar (about 1/2 cup at a time), blending thoroughly after each addition.
- Beat in heavy cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, on medium-low speed. Add vanilla extract and beat on high for about 30 seconds more until creamy.
- Spread generously on cake (see step 9 under cake directions).
Recipe and photos by Karen Pavone