MALT was founded in 1980 to protect family farms from mounting development pressures. In the decades since its founding, MALT continues to advance farmland protection, as well as support the adoption of sustainable agricultural practices throughout West Marin. There are innumerable benefits of this work.
In protecting farmland, MALT strengthens:
- A thriving agricultural community;
- The economic viability of West Marin family-owned farms and ranches;
- A robust local food system that provides sustainably-produced foods to communities throughout the Bay Area and beyond;
- The ecological health of habitat for more than 100 species of wildlife; and
- Scenic, climate-resilient landscapes.
But you don’t have to take MALT’s word for it. Hear it from a few members of this community, all of whom are contributing immensely to the ongoing protection of farmland in West Marin: