Marin Agricultural Land Trust is a nonprofit land trust created in 1980 by a coalition of ranchers and environmentalists to permanently protect Marin County farmland. Some of the Bay Area’s most highly acclaimed dairy and cheese products, grass-fed meats and organic crops are produced on farmland protected by MALT’s 92 agricultural conservation easements.
MALT has permanently protected over 55,000 acres of West Marin’s diverse mosaic of coastal grasslands, oak woodlands, rangelands and pastoral open space. MALT is committed to supporting sustainable management, climate-beneficial and regenerative agriculture in Marin County, including farming and grazing practices that rebuild soil organic matter and improve soil biodiversity to draw down carbon and improve the water cycle.
Marin Agricultural Land Trust welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. MALT is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. We are a team that works together to achieve our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
We invite you to join the MALT team—a dynamic and passionate staff who care deeply about our mission and one another.
The Major Gift Manager is responsible for managing MALT’s major gifts program focused on the development and implementation of strategies for securing financial support from a segment of donors and prospects who have the ability to make gifts of $10,000 or more. They will be responsible for delivering $2,900,000 in revenue annually in partnership with a team of fundraisers as well as securing new legacy gift commitments from planned giving prospects.
The Major Gift Manager reports to the Director of Development, and will manage a portfolio of 75-100 individuals, including identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gifts of $10,000 and above. The Major Gift Manager will work independently and collaboratively as a member of the Advancement team and coordinates their activities with those of other teams as needed.
This is a full-time, exempt position with a flexible schedule that accommodates in-person and work-from-home schedules, requiring some (weekly) presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station, the West Marin community. Compensation commensurate with experience.
- 5+ years of experience in major gift fundraising in a related for-profit/financial/private wealth field or related field.
- Proven success in raising five-and six figure gifts, securing multi-year commitments as well as planned gift commitments
- Experience with and knowledge of planned giving programs
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of major and legacy gift donors to develop and strengthen relationships between the donors and MALT.
- Successful experience in making cold calls as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies; passionate and committed to going out and securing major gifts
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Strong strategic planning, organizational, problem-solving, research and analytical skills
- Must be self-motivated, self-starting, sophisticated, creative, and have strong attention to detail
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends for donor events and engagement opportunities
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, G-Suite, Blackbaud’s RE/NXT or a donor tracking software a plus.
- Capital Campaign experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in business or related field, or comparable work experience.
- Collaborate with team members to develop the annual strategy and work-plan for the major gift program
- Manage prospect activity for a portfolio of 75 to 100 individual donors
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle:
- Initiate contacts with potential major, leadership and planned giving donors
- Develop appropriate cultivation strategies, including working with staff, Board and other volunteers to engage prospects
- Use a moves management system to move potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure Make solicitations when appropriate
- Document in a timely manner all prospect contacts to ensure thorough data tracking as well as positive and purposeful donor relations in NXT/Raiser’s Edge CRM.
- Work collaboratively with and in support of advancement team members, Board, volunteers, and other MALT team members as needed to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors to support organizational priorities.
- Be a resource for development staff, including identifying potential volunteer connections, and as appropriate, counsel on prospect cultivation and conducting prospect research.
- Focus on securing support for a set of institution-wide priorities that include unrestricted annual support, special project support (i.e. for easement transactions, stewardship grants) and planned gifts.
- Partner with MALT’s Annual Giving Manager to develop collateral materials for the direct response program and send Legacy Giving Circle communications focused on lead generation, stewardship and recognition.
- Partner with MALT’s community engagement and events program to develop and plan a suite of gatherings, tours and events to engage, cultivate and steward major and planned giving donors and prospects.
PAY & BENEFITS
We offer competitive salaries; paid vacation and sick time; health, life, dental, and vision insurance; retirement benefits; family-friendly policies, and a commitment to honoring work/life balance.
Salary range is $100k-$115k.
How to Apply
→ CLICK HERE
No phone calls, no walk-ins, no recruiters.