Marin Agricultural Land Trust (MALT) permanently protects Marin County’s family farms and ranches from development, ensuring that these working lands will continue to provide local food, open range and rich natural habitat for generations to come. Some of the Bay Area’s most acclaimed meats, cheeses, milk, fruits and vegetables come from farms and ranches protected by MALT. Since 1980 MALT has protected over 54,000 acres of Marin’s farmland, forever. MALT imagines a thriving and inclusive agricultural community in a healthy and diverse natural environment.
The Director, People & Community is a full-time, exempt position with primary responsibility for human resources, community engagement, partnership management and integration of DEIJ principles across MALT’s programs. This role is supported by the Community Engagement Manager and supports the Advancement, Conservation/Policy, Science/Regenerative Agriculture and Operations teams. The position reports to the Chief Executive Officer, serves as a member of the Leadership Team and works closely with the Director of Advancement, Director of Conservation/Policy the Director of Science and Regenerative Agriculture and Director of Operations; and manages the Community Engagement Manager. While working remotely is possible with this role, some in-person office presence in Point Reyes Station, CA and in-person engagement with partners and the West Marin community is required.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Recruit, manage and nurture a diverse talent pipeline for new and existing roles.
- Build a healthy, inclusive, joyful culture among staff, board and key stakeholders.
- Lead cultivation and management of relationships with key partners to advance MALT’s mission and strategy.
- Create and ensure quality execution of meaningful strategies for engagement, innovation and inclusion among MALT’s stakeholders and community to build and grow community support for MALT and its work.
- Evolve MALT’s talent development and human resources practices and policies.
- Integrate diversity, equity, inclusion and justice best practices into MALT’s functions, programs, projects and community engagement.
- Work with the MALT Leadership Team to identify new and deepen existing partnerships.
Qualifications and Requirements
- 5+ years of people operations. You have managed the people, culture and talent functions of a mission-driven organization with increasing responsibility.
- 5+ years of partnership development. You are talented at building relationships with a diverse set of partners and stakeholders and articulating value-exchange for each partnership in ways that create impact synergies.
- 5+ years of community building/community engagement. You are able to understand, integrate and devise strategies that engage diverse perspectives and people who comprise the community.
- You have a talent for clear and respectful communications across multiple formats, written and oral; capable of introducing complex concepts and a tolerance for ambiguity. You value listening in all communications.
- Strategic and growth mindset. You see patterns and opportunities where others may see complexity. You’re the person team members look at to create alternative forward paths.
- You are committed to regenerative, inclusive, local, agriculture that provides local food, protects natural resources, sequesters carbon and affords dignified livelihoods to community members while addressing pressing problems of climate change, agricultural sustainability, food security and racial justice.
- B.A. or B.S. in relevant field; M.B.A. or Master’s in Organizational Psychology or related field preferred.
This is a full-time, exempt position that requires some presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station and in the West Marin community. Competitive salary and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter in PDF format firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, no walk-ins, no recruiters.
Marin Agricultural Land Trust welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. MALT is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued and supported. We are a team that works together to achieve our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.