As an innovative community-based nonprofit, the Marin Agricultural Land Trust (MALT) operates at the intersection of agriculture and conservation. Our mission is to permanently protect Marin County’s agricultural land for agricultural use. And our commitment is to the long-term health of the land itself, as well as to the farmers and ranchers who work on the land.
We invite you to join the MALT team—a dynamic and passionate staff who care deeply about our mission and one another.
The Director of Development is responsible for creating, leading, and implementing a strategic fundraising and development program for MALT to raise approximately $4M annually, sustain that goal, and diversify and grow the program. The Director will be a results-driven, highly effective storyteller and relationship builder who can bring to life MALT’s impact in Marin County and throughout the Bay Area, capture the hearts and minds of donors, and inspire them to support MALT’s mission and work.
The Director of Development will collaborate with the Leadership Team and the Development Committee of the Board to envision a development plan that supports the current operating budget and grows to support the strategic priorities of the organization. The Director will lead the creation, management, and execution of strategic and complementary plans to raise funds through major, annual, planned, and campaign giving. Additionally, this person will grow our fundraising efforts and revenue through grants from institutional partners, such as corporations and foundations. The Director will partner with the Executive Director, the Deputy Director, and the Development team in building and cultivating long-term relationships with donors. This position is ideal for someone with proven fundraising experience in varied areas of development, who is a proactive leader, creative problem solver, and strategic thinker with an aptitude for relationships.
The Director of Development reports directly to the Deputy Director, serves on the Leadership Team, and leads a team of five (5) staff as well as mentors non-direct reports to strengthen the organization’s development and fundraising capacity as a whole. The Director of Development is also responsible for engaging with and leading the Development Committee, a committee of the Board of Directors. This is a full-time, exempt position with a flexible schedule that accommodates in-person and remote-work schedules, requiring regular weekly presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station and the West Marin community.
- Bachelor’s and/or advanced degree in a related field; minimum ten (10) years of demonstrated successful fundraising experience, including in major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, and/or campaigns, or an equivalent education and work experience which would provide an opportunity to acquire the knowledge and abilities listed herein and sufficient to successfully perform the Key Responsibilities of the job, including CFRE certification.
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory management experience, including motivating, leading, coaching, setting objectives, and managing performance.
- Proven experience in asking for and closing six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Strong track record of achieving results; well organized and self-directed, politically savvy with an advanced understanding of discretion and confidentiality, and a team player.
- Proven ability to develop and successfully maintain high-level relationships with individual, foundation, and corporate funders.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams in the non-profit space.
- Strong knowledge of and ties with the Bay Area funding community.
- Ability to gain the confidence of and successfully work within the agricultural community.
- Flexibility, optimism, good humor, and a passion for agricultural land conservation and the role of land stewardship in advancing it.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Various levels of project management experience and advanced organizational skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Google Suite, preferred experience with Monday.com and Slack.
- Ability to work occasionally in the evenings and on the weekends.
- Oversee cultivation and solicitation of major donors and prospects and, in partnership with the Major Gifts Manager, manage and steward these crucial donor relationships, to meet annual revenue goals.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of 50-75 major donors and prospects.
- Strategize, direct, and partner with key stakeholders to launch and manage campaigns.
- Engage current and potential donors with the goal of increasing financial support and major gifts for MALT as well as additional planned gift commitments, with a campaign being considered in the next few years.
- Partner with Development team members to cultivate and steward a portfolio of 200+ Legacy Giving Circle members and prospects.
- Grow and scale MALT’s Legacy Giving Circle Program with mail and digital communications, supporting collateral materials, and events.
- Lead the preparation of cases for support, funding proposals, reports, and customized collateral for individual donors and prospects.
- Oversee the annual and core donor giving program, partnering with the Annual Giving Manager on developing and implementing strategies for communications, solicitations, direct mail, stewardship, recurring giving, etc., to achieve annual goals.
- Oversee the mid-level donor and individual giving campaign programs, partnering with the Individual Giving Manager to inspire giving through match challenge campaigns, integrated direct mail and digital campaigns, as well as targeted stewardship and communications to move donors through the pipeline.
- Direct and support the Data Services Manager and Development Coordinator with the implementation of best practices for data management and regular reporting through Raiser’s Edge and Engaging Networks, and reconciled with our Finance team.
- Partner with the Director of Events and Development Team members to develop and execute events and tailored experiences for various donor audiences.
- Partner with the Director of Communications and their team to support development and fundraising work with collateral, messaging, regular and consistent communications..
- Collaborate with the Communications and Events teams on annual work planning aligned with organizational and team goals and priorities and communications campaigns.Partner with the Land Protection and Stewardship teams to identify opportunities for support and for getting donors and prospects out to farms and ranches to communicate the impact and benefits of our work.
- Manage and deliver reports that engage and inform the Leadership Team, the Development Committee, and the Board, as well as the work of the development, communications, and events teams.
- Partner with the Executive Director and the Deputy Director to engage the Board to meet critical financial goals for the organization and serve as MALT ambassadors in the community.
- Lead and manage the Development Committee of the Board to set the overall organizational strategy for fundraising and development and work with the Board to cultivate and steward donors and participate in development events and activities.
- Collaborate with organizational leadership to strategize, launch, and scale a corporate and institutional/foundation giving program to meet MALT’s future funding needs.
- Create and grow relationships and communications with current corporate and foundation supporters, to renew and increase corporate funding.
- Manage the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of new corporate and foundation partners.
- Oversee administrative activities of the development team, including creating and managing the team budget, fundraising database, donor recognition, and a timely and sophisticated gift acknowledgment system.
- Hire, train, motivate, develop, evaluate, and provide ongoing collaboration and supervision to development team staff.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a flexible schedule that accommodates in-person and work-from-home schedules, requiring weekly presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station, and the West Marin community.
Salary range: $145-160,000
- Health Insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- FSA Child Care
- FSA Medical
- Paid Time Off
- 403 (b); 403 (b) Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program
HOW TO APPLY
→ CLICK HERE
Please no phone calls, walk-ins, or recruiters.