Marin Agricultural Land Trust is a nonprofit land trust created in 1980 by a coalition of ranchers and environmentalists to permanently protect Marin County farmland. Some of the Bay Area’s most highly acclaimed dairy and cheese products, grass-fed meats and organic crops are produced on farmland protected by MALT’s 91 agricultural conservation easements. MALT has permanently protected over 54,000 acres of West Marin’s diverse mosaic of coastal grasslands, oak woodlands, rangelands and pastoral open space. MALT is committed to supporting sustainable management, climate-beneficial and regenerative agriculture in Marin County, including farming and grazing practices that rebuild soil organic matter and improve soil biodiversity to draw down carbon and improve the water cycle.
The Director, Marketing & Communications is an integral member of MALT’s Leadership Team, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer serving as a key organizational leader to Board and staff. The Director, Marketing & Communications is responsible for developing and implementing all aspects of MALT’s marketing, market research, branding, marketing communications and public relations activities to support MALT’s long-term strategic direction. The role is responsible for integration of marketing and communications externally and internally to achieve programmatic, development, community engagement and partnership goals. This position provides leadership, vision and direction to a team of marketing, communications and community engagement professionals and contracted services providers for PR, events management and other marketing functions. The Director, Marketing & Communications embraces technology to increase brand awareness, engagement and visibility to support MALT’s mission and vision and is responsible for leveraging resources in an efficient, effective and sustainable manner.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Develop and execute MALT’s marketing and communications strategy to support brand growth and engagement of stakeholder groups including donors, agriculturalists, partners, the local community and the global ecosystem of organizations devoted to regenerative, inclusive food systems.
- Create engaging, compelling and shareable content that tells the story of MALT, Marin agricultural land and the vision of regenerative, inclusive agriculture to raise awareness and inspire support.
- Build and leverage MALT’s digital assets including website and social media channels to optimize brand awareness, raise resources and engage various audiences and stakeholders across multiple social platforms and in-person events on agricultural land in West Marin.
- Partner with the Advancement team to customize content and engagement experiences for donor and community segments that deepen their loyalty to MALT
- Partner with the Conservation and Stewardship team to generate actionable market research data on current and future agriculturalist market segments and translate this knowledge into engagement strategies that advance MALT’s vision.
- Partner with the Science and Regenerative Agriculture team to create, launch, and scale thought leadership efforts that engage innovators from academia, the ag tech sector, and the global community to accelerate the transformation of food systems for climate and racial justice.
- Engage local, regional, national, and global partners to develop and advance the regenerative, inclusive agriculture ecosystem.
- Develop and manage all marketing processes, measurement, and information systems to enable the overall function to operate efficiently and effectively.
- Proactively and reactively seek media coverage opportunities to advance MALT’s strategic goals.
- Develop and manage annual marketing and communications calendar and budget, ensuring resource optimization and effective support of key advancement and programmatic goals.
- Lead, develop, and manage the marketing and communications team; promote a diverse and inclusive culture of high performance and continuous improvement.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree such as MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years of successful integrated marketing and communications strategy and implementation
- Minimum of 5 years experience managing comprehensive strategic marketing and communications, media relations and marketing programs to advance an organization’s mission and goals
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in the design and execution of marketing and communications strategies, including digital marketing campaign management.
- Experience overseeing the design, production, and management of website content, digital/social media content and migration of stakeholders from print to digital media.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Effective, articulate, and persuasive public speaking and presentation skills.
- Experience building, mentoring, and coaching a small team of marketing and communications professionals and managing PR and digital agencies.
- Excellent creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution among competing priorities in a resource-constrained environment.
- Ability to work independently while managing multiple projects and priorities in parallel.
- Commitment to regenerative, inclusive, local agriculture that provides local food, protects natural resources, sequesters carbon and affords dignified livelihoods to community members while addressing pressing problems of climate change, agricultural sustainability, and food security.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice.
This is a full-time, exempt position that requires some presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station, the West Marin community and some in-person collaboration with stakeholder groups including donors, agriculturalists, partners, and community members. Competitive salary and excellent benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter in PDF format firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, no walk-ins, no recruiters.
Marin Agricultural Land Trust welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. MALT is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. We are a team that works together to achieve our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.