Marin Agricultural Land Trust is a nonprofit land trust created in 1980 by a coalition of ranchers and environmentalists to permanently protect Marin County farmland. Some of the Bay Area’s most highly acclaimed dairy and cheese products, grass-fed meats and organic crops are produced on farmland protected by MALT’s 91 agricultural conservation easements. MALT has permanently protected over 54,000 acres of West Marin’s diverse mosaic of coastal grasslands, oak woodlands, rangelands and pastoral open space. MALT is committed to supporting sustainable management, climate-beneficial and regenerative agriculture in Marin County, including farming and grazing practices that rebuild soil organic matter and improve soil biodiversity to draw down carbon and improve the water cycle.
MALT seeks a marketing and communications professional with 10-15 years of related experience for the position of Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications. In collaboration with the Director, Marketing & Communications, this person is responsible for the creation of all content, public relations efforts, and community engagement initiatives to advance MALT’s brand, reputation, fundraising campaigns, and programmatic work. Applicant must be able to design, manage, and execute on a wide range of responsibilities, from the creation of engaging print and digital content to identifying a diverse cohort of audiences, agency partners, businesses, local agriculturists, and community members to advance MALT’s work in the region.
Applicant must also be a creative and strategic thinker, and adept at facilitating collaborative and inclusive processes with diverse stakeholders and organizational decision-making on a broad array of topics. They must be experienced in high-volume content creation, organizing media strategies, and internal marketing and communications / editorial calendars. Together with the Director, Marketing & Communications, this position will assist in advancing the MALT brand and its recognition, print and digital communications, and review of all of MALT’s outgoing communications.
The Senior Manager, Marketing & Communications reports to the Director, Marketing & Communications.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Produce both short and long-form creative content for MALT and work collaboratively to write, edit, and review content for other print and digital deliverables, including website, print newsletters, emails / e-newsletters, social media, event collateral, donor stewardship pieces, and public communications. This content will include, but not be limited to: digital and print materials, producer profiles, community partner profiles, agency profiles, agriculturalist profiles, donor features, easement closures, fundraising collateral, direct mail storyline, and more
- Assist the Director, Marketing & Communications, in the ideation and execution of a marketing communications strategy, calendar, and budget in support of the organization’s external relations, community engagement, public relations, and fundraising goals
- Provide guidance, direction, and support to MALT leadership and external vendors, who are together responsible for digital communications, print communications, community engagement, community business partnerships, sponsorship opportunities, volunteer engagement and programming, public events programming, graphic design, video production, and advertising
- Assist in advancing organizational collaboration with MALT’s stewardship and conservation teams, working together to engage one of MALT’s most important audiences: farmers and ranchers
- Facilitate collaboration with the conservation team to increase transparency around MALT’s easement application process, and create an organization-wide welcome process for new MALT easement farmers and ranchers
- Collaborate with the Operations team to facilitate effective inter-office communications so that all staff are aware of and engaged in one another’s work
- Work with Director, Marketing & Communications, to ensure all creative materials are in keeping with MALT’s brand, and that associated communications and collateral are published in a way that supports those efforts
- Support MALT staff with the planning and execution of events and other engagement opportunities
- Serve as one of MALT’s primary editors and proof readers, reviewing print and digital communications and community engagement pieces before they are shared with the general public and MALT’s community of supporters
- Assist with production of video, photographic, designed and editorial content, and other key content to be utilized for external communications
- Track and analyze audience engagement metrics and other key performance data streams. Adapt print and digital communications and marketing tactics as needed to respond to audience behavior and feedback, and to most effectively integrate new technologies and trends
- Participate in the development of key messages and strategies in order to communicate complex information to multiple audiences using traditional, new and emerging communications tools
- Help build brand strength with key audiences in Marin County, the Bay Area, throughout California, and across the globe
- Bachelor’s/advanced degree preferred or an equivalent combination of relevant education, training, and expertise sufficient to perform the essential duties of the position required
- Minimum 10 years of experience in marketing communications, content creation, and community engagement work, preferably in a related nonprofit environment
Knowledge and Abilities
- Highly developed and versatile writing and editing skills, with proficiency in AP Style and a proofer’s eye for detail
- Ability to shoot and edit compelling video and photography content to communicate visually across digital landscape
- Exceptional manager and collaborator
- Experience developing communications plans, calendars, and budgets
- Prior management of staff, freelance/contract support, and vendors
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Detail-oriented, deadline-driven, and able to effectively prioritize work
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strategic thinker
- Highly motivated, with superior organizational and written communication skills, including excellent editorial judgment, as well as project management, analytical, and technical skills
- Creative, positive, innovative thinker, action-oriented, versatile, ability to adapt in dynamic environment
- Self-directed with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong command of digital media platforms; proficiency with CMS and CRM preferred
- Proficiency with MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Platform Knowledge: Engaging Networks, NXT, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Salesforce, WordPress, Basecamp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Canva required
This is a full-time, exempt position that requires some presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station, the West Marin community and some in-person collaboration with stakeholder groups including donors, agriculturalists, partners, and community members. Salary range of $80-$90k and excellent benefits. Marin Agricultural Land Trust welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. MALT is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. We are a team that works together to achieve our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply
→ CLICK HERE
No phone calls, no walk-ins, no recruiters.