The Finance and Accounting Manager will be part of a dynamic team working to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use in ways that benefit healthy communities, clean water and air, diverse habitats, sustainable and regenerative agriculture, and climate resiliency.
Marin Agricultural Land Trust welcomes people of all backgrounds, identities, and beliefs to join us in achieving our mission to permanently protect Marin’s agricultural land for agricultural use. MALT is committed to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace in which everyone is welcomed, valued, and supported. We are a team that works together to achieve our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
The Finance and Accounting Manager is a full-time exempt position responsible for managing the financial resources of the organization on a daily basis including accounting in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and the MALT system of internal controls; oversight of organization-wide budgets and safeguarding assets through adherence to policies and procedures; and building financial strategies and reports to help MALT maintain and improve its financial health and to meet MALT’s long-term financial goals.
The Ideal Candidate
- Provides financial advice and strategic planning to MALT Leadership
- Develop strategies that minimize MALT’s financial risk
- Produce quarterly financial reports for the Board per LTA requirements
- Model budgets for restricted gifts and grants
- Work with and advise MALT Leadership, Board and Board Committees
- Bachelor’s degree or any combination of education and work experience, in accounting, finance or a related field
- Eight to ten years’ experience with non-profit fund accounting and financial management
- Non-profit financial management and financial forecasting
Knowledge and Abilities
- Responsible for month-end and year-end close of accounting system
- Responsible for day-to-day functioning of the finance department
- Responsible for onboarding and off boarding of staff
- Participate in annual audit and tax filing preparation
- Serve as backup to Operations Manager
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Proficient with standard office software programs
- Experience using Abila MIP and related software to collect data, perform analyses, and prepare projections and reports
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple simultaneous responsibilities
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relations inside and outside of MALT
- Commit to regenerative, inclusive, local agriculture that provides local food, protects natural resources, sequesters carbon and affords dignified livelihoods to community members while addressing pressing problems of climate change, agricultural sustainability, and food security.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for, diversity, equity and inclusion
This is a full-time, exempt position, hybrid role with a flexible schedule that accommodates in-person and work-from-home schedules, requiring some presence in MALT’s office in Point Reyes Station, the West Marin community. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Marin Agricultural Land Trust is a nonprofit land trust created in 1980 by a coalition of ranchers and environmentalists to permanently protect Marin County farmland. Some of the Bay Area’s most highly acclaimed dairy and cheese products, grass-fed meats and organic crops are produced on farmland protected by MALT’s 91 agricultural conservation easements. MALT has permanently protected over 54,000 acres of West Marin’s diverse mosaic of coastal grasslands, oak woodlands, rangelands and pastoral open space. MALT is committed to supporting sustainable management, climate-beneficial and regenerative agriculture in Marin County, including farming and grazing practices that rebuild soil organic matter and improve soil biodiversity to draw down carbon and improve the water cycle.
- Health Insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- FSA Child Care
- FSA Medical
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- 403 (b)
- 403 (b) Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program
How to Apply
→ CLICK HERE
No phone calls, no walk-ins, no recruiters.